Talks and Conversations 1
M: May I help you?
W: Yes, I want to buy some shoes to replace the ones I am wearing.
M: What’s wrong with them?
W: They are too old and shabby.
M: I can see they have simply been worn out. Would you like the same color? More or less?
W: Yes, and something a little less casual.
M: How about this light brown pair? They are similar to what you have, but a little bit dressier.
W: Yes. I was thinking of something along that line. I will try them on.
M: They certainly look charming.
W: The trouble is, they feel uncomfortable.
M: Then try on this other pair in the similar style, but by a different manufacturer.
W: These are much better, do you have the main red?
M: Yes, would you like both pairs?
W: Yes, if they won’t cost too much.
M: Oh, no. They won’t. The second pair is half price. Shall I put them both in a box for you?
W: Just the red and the old ones. I wear the new brown pair home.
11. What did the woman’s shoes look like?
12. What was wrong with the first pair of shoes the woman tried on?
13. How many pairs of shoes did the woman buy?
14. Which shoes did the woman wear home?
Talks and Conversations 2
I lived in a dread for a whole year, and I have to be honest and say that at first I wasn’t very happy. You see, I was homesick, I missed my family and I just wanted to go home. Part of the problem was my Spanish. I couldn’t communicate very well. But I love to eat, and that’s what really saved me. You see, once I discovered Tapas … oh ,let me explain — these delicious appetizers you eat. So I made some Spanish friends and we’d go out to Tapas bars. So I got to eat a lot of delicious food. And of course, my Spanish improved dramatically as well. But there was one thing that was difficult to adjust to, and that was that dinner was always served at a late hour. I wasn’t used to eating at eleven at night.
15. How long did the woman live in a dread?
16. Which of following partially explains why the woman was so homesick at first?
17. What did the woman particularly like?
18. According to the woman, which was the thing that was difficult to adjust to?
1 2 3 4